Autor Thema: Windigipet and Märklin 60vac-170vac issues.  (Gelesen 2614 mal)

Offline dconner

• Senior-Mitglied
Windigipet and Märklin 60vac-170vac issues.
« am: 06. September 2022, 20:24:09 »
             Hallo Adrian,
             As you can see I`ve taken your advice and started a new forum post, thanks. Please allow me to restate in a little more detail my original observations and questions to Mathew.
             System information- Windigipet 2021.0b
                                              Märklin CS3 with C Track
                                              DR 5000 LocoNet, linked to FB modules.
                                              PC running Windows 10
                                              Four Märklin boosters

Mathew made an interesting point about Humidity with his reply to Thor, who was seeking advice about starting a model railway hobby. One part of that advice is as follows:-
             "Humidity does strange things to material that can absorb moisture and change to overall operating characteristics of a model layout"
              The reason for my interest is as follows-
              Two very talented friends in Berlin have developed amongst other things, a new track feedback module of which I have 20, 16 of which are now installed. They replaced the S88 modules from Märklin. Since then I have been expiriencing stability problems as illustrated in the new Windigipet FB icon. A great software addition I might add. Isopropanol and wheel set cleaning have only marginaly helped. Which now brings me to this HUMIDITY point, is this in any way the cause of this instabilty observation? In Widigipet the FB software does offer a way to change this samplig rate but does not help this particular issue, or am I missing something?
              Which brings me to this 60vac-170vac issue. On various occasions I have measured anything from 60vac to 170vac between B (bahnstrom positive) and earth, and the same between 0 (negative) and earth. I have also mesured this same issue on two other sites in Berlin. I have the impression that humidity and track trafic also have a bearing on this issue, even though 18 vac is always constant between B & 0. My request to Märklin for clarifiction with this issue did not result in any way with a sensible answer.
               The link - https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t39435-Electrical-shock-from-rails, that you kindly sent me makes no mention of a humidity issue, which has made me a little more unsure of my idea.
               The question is does this 60vac / 170vac have an adverse effect on various electronics and can we better monitor this in Windigipet?
               Many thanks for your input, with best regards, Dave Conner, Berlin.
               ps, does this F111 icon on your header have a deeper significance?
« Letzte Änderung: 07. September 2022, 09:48:41 von dconner »
  • Win-Digipet-Version:
  • Anlagenkonfiguration:
    märklin c gleis
  • Rechnerkonfiguration:
    DR5000 plus router

Offline Adrian L

• Senior-Mitglied
Re: Windigipet and Märklin 60vac-170vac issues.
« Antwort #1 am: 07. September 2022, 00:53:13 »
Hello Dave,

I am not an Electronics Engineer, but my guess is that the low current means that the impact to other electronics is minimal.  It is doubtful that WinDigipet would be able to detect such a voltage, but these guys are so talented it would not surprise me to see it added as a future feature.

If humidity is a factor, then it would have to affect the Y capacitor that is mentioned toward the end of the post. As a note, where Lasse lives the humidity can get to 80% in summer and lower in winter. 

You can always join the marklin-users.net forum and make contact with Lasse.  He would like to hear from someone else who has been though the process.

As to the logo, it has no deeper meaning.  It was taken at an airshow in Australia a couple of decades ago. When I asked a former RAAF friend of mine why an aircraft needed such a device,  His comment was, "when we run out of bombs and bullets, we fly very low and barbecue the nasty *****".    ;)

Take care,
Adrian
« Letzte Änderung: 07. September 2022, 00:54:49 von Adrian L »
Adrian
WDP 2018.2d on Intel i5 (8Gb RAM) running Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) with ESU ECoS 50200 version 4.2.7, ESU Mobile Control II and LDT HSI-88 USB running Marklin M-track based layout - and loving it!
  • Win-Digipet-Version:
    2018.2d
  • Anlagenkonfiguration:
    Marklin H0
  • Rechnerkonfiguration:
    Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i5 (8Gb RAM) SSD

Offline dconner

• Senior-Mitglied
« Antwort #2 am: 07. September 2022, 09:30:21 »
Sorry I got your name mispelled Adrian, letter recognition and spellling was never my strongest point and of course many thanks for your informative reply.
               Best Regards.
  • Win-Digipet-Version:
  • Anlagenkonfiguration:
    märklin c gleis
  • Rechnerkonfiguration:
    DR5000 plus router

Offline dconner

• Senior-Mitglied
« Antwort #3 am: 10. Dezember 2022, 12:32:39 »
DR5000 Loconet Feedback stability problem has now been resolved. All Feed back modules have been connected to the Märklin CS3 18volt power line as opposed to the Märklin booster units with Windigipet Feed back monitor now completely stabile when tracks are occupied. The sampling feed back feature in Windigipet did not improve this stability problem and humidity had also no effect.
I wish you all a Happy Christmas and an even better New Year.
  • Win-Digipet-Version:
  • Anlagenkonfiguration:
    märklin c gleis
  • Rechnerkonfiguration:
    DR5000 plus router

Offline Adrian L

• Senior-Mitglied
« Antwort #4 am: 31. Dezember 2022, 09:25:03 »
Hello Dave,

I apologise for my late reply.  We have moved closer (a bit) to Germany and I am trying to survive on a slow 4G link until broadband  is connected to our new (to us)  house..

It is great to see that everything has worked out for you.  Like you, I run all the important things from the control unit (in my case is an eCos) and the trains themselves on the booster (or I used to until my layout was dismantled just prior to our big move.

I hope that you have a happy and prosperous new year in 2023.
Adrian
WDP 2018.2d on Intel i5 (8Gb RAM) running Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) with ESU ECoS 50200 version 4.2.7, ESU Mobile Control II and LDT HSI-88 USB running Marklin M-track based layout - and loving it!
  • Win-Digipet-Version:
    2018.2d
  • Anlagenkonfiguration:
    Marklin H0
  • Rechnerkonfiguration:
    Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i5 (8Gb RAM) SSD